Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Third and Fourth Week on VMP

Starting around the 4th week, things have started to get very difficult for my Mother. I went back home and my sisters came to Seattle to help out. On the third week checkup, my mother's white blood cell count was fairly low, but Dr. Picozzi said we could still continue. My mother started to suffer from "nervousness" or "restlessness" and had some headaches. This got progressively worse but it seems it was a result of the compazine. They switched her off of that and put her on Zophran every day and that seems to have helped a lot. She also has had problems sleeping. She generally has been a light sleeper but at the start of the treatment she slept so well that she was wondering what had changed. So she's trying more Lorazepam and some Ambien to see if that helps. Her lower lip continues to be fairly raw. For a few days she didn't want to really eat anything due to nausea and a stomach ache. We upped the Protonix and that may be helping. I would say that she is pretty miserable at this point and we are looking forward to all of this being behind her soon.

No comments: