Saturday, May 13, 2006

CA 19-9 Results

My sister called Picozzi's office last Monday for the CA 19-9 results. The number came out very low at a value of about 3. So Dr. Picozzi said that it is unlikely that the cancer has returned. He said that a biopsy is the only way to really know but that it's probably better to simply follow the lesion via CT. He indicated that this probably wouldn't change my mother's current treatment plan in any case. My mother then went to see Dr. Laheru on Wednesday. Dr. Laheru concurred that the CA 19-9 results were reassuring. Dr. Picozzi had indicated that my mother could begin her next phases of chemo around the middle of May but Dr. Laheru thought my mother should regain more of her strength before beginning. So we didn't get any details on what treatment plan she would use and a follow up was scheduled for June 7. Dr. Laheru also ordered another CA 19-9 just to double check. The results came back at 23. We assume that this is also OK because it is in the normal range. We are all feeling somewhat relieved now and are hoping that this was all some anomaly on the CT scan. My mother is still suffering from indigestion after eating.

No comments: