Friday, July 21, 2006

Very Concerned - Third Bleeding Incident

We checked Mom in today at Hopkins. She had suffered from weakness, very bloody stools and fever the last few days. Her HCT was at 21.0 today down from 25.6 on Wednesday and 29 a week ago. Clearly the bleeding hasn't stopped. Dr. Hutcheon performed an endoscopy and colonoscopy today. In our brief conversation today he said he cauterized a couple more small areas and that she suffered from radiation gastritis. I'm concerned the VMP phase I may have been too much for our poor mother. She's receiving blood today and I pray that we can resolve this issue for the long term. What I've read about upper GI bleeds is pretty scary. He mentioned that this condition may be chronic but he seemed to reassure me that it was manageable. Another Dr. who came by seemed somewhat ominous in her comments but I didn't want to press the issue at the moment. I'm very concerned.

No comments: