Thursday, December 15, 2005

Post-Whipple Misery

The day my mother was discharged she felt fairly nauseous. We asked for some anti-nausea medication but were told that they don't like to prescribe that as it may mask real problems. Once we got home things got pretty bad. For about two weeks my mother could barely get out of bed because of nausea. Every few days she would vomit what seemed like all the fluids and food she had managed to get down for the last few days. We were really worried that there was some kind of blockage. At one point Dr. Meneshian was ready to re-admit my mother but we heard the next day that Dr. Cameron had nixed that idea. At least he prescribed metoclopramide which seemed to help with the nausea.

My father also went through a lot trying to keep my mother comfortable. For example, he had to really strive to meet my mother's extremely exacting standards for food preparation. Eventually, he resorted to bringing the ingredients up to her and letting her determine how much of each to add so that she would not be able to accuse him of adding too much or little of something.

No comments: